Monday, June 13, 2016

Stage 24- Pintin to Porto Marin

" Love knows not it's own depth until the hour of separation."
- Kahlil Gibran

Today, I walked my 24th stage on the Camino from Pintin to Porto Marin covering 28.7 km, 17.9 miles, and 41,505 steps.  

The route today took me through a number of dairy farms, the bustling city of Sarria, and then about 20 km of gently rolling hills and wooded trailways.  It looked as if it would rain early in the day, but it never did materialize.  The weather was partly sunny and pleasant during my entire walk.  I did notice the extra traffic on the trail as many new and "fresh" pilgrims join the Camino for the final 115 km from Sarria to Santiago.  I saw more tour groups, and larger numbers of hikers not carrying bags, so it certainly had more of a commercialized feel to it today.  I rolled into Porto Marin around 4:30 today, and struggled to find a room.  The extra volume on the Camino created a shortage of bed space in Porto Marin, but I was able to find the last bed in an alburgue for 10 euros.  I was delighted that it worked out because I really didn't feel like walking another 8km to the next town in search of a bed.  I reached a milestone on the Camino today as I finally hit the under 100 km mark.  If my pics post, you will see them below.  I remember a sign not all that long ago that said something like 780 km, so it was really rewarding to hit that milestone today.  I have 93 km left, and 3 more days to complete my walk.  I'm still just taking it one step at a time.

After this experience, I'm certainly ready to rest my body and try to apply and practice what I've learned.  I'm sure there will be more adventures waiting for me down the road.  There always are.  I've determined that I suffer from chronic Triptilitis.  This condition is marked by an insatiable wanderlust, a tendency to daydream about turquoise waters, rugged mountains, red rock canyons, and clear running rivers.  Other symptoms include an elevated sense of excitement in airports and hotels, and a persistent habit of planning my next trip just as the one I'm on is coming to a close.  Yes, I've got this sickness real bad!!  There is no known cure! 

 Another idea I'm toying with is playing a little airline roulette with Estalita some day in the future.  This is something I've always wanted to do.  Free up 3-4 days, pack a small bag, head to the airport without tickets, and then spin the wheel.  Wherever the wheel lands is where we go!!  Hopefully, she'll be game for this some day.

Don't know if these pics will post because of the weak internet here.

Lights out.

2 comments:

sym said...

Glad you were able to find lodging for the night Eric. It must be something to know that you are not much further from your destination. Continued prayers for you and the last few days of your journey.

dianek66 said...

I think Scott and I suffer from a similar condition to what you describe. We are always ready for the next adventure and a new place to see. 🙂 Truly enjoying your posts and thoughts on this journey.