Tuesday, June 7, 2016

Stage 18- Leon to Hospital de Orbigo

Sometimes we don't set meaningful goals because of the stories we tell ourselves, our limiting beliefs, and our chaotic lives.  We get bogged down herding cats, and juggling sand underwater, and soon there is no time left to reflect on what we really want out of life.
- Eric Slivoskey

Today I walked from Leon to Hospital de Orbigo covering 32.6 km, 20.2 miles, and 43,444 steps.  I would have enjoyed having an extra day in Leon, but it just isn't possible if I'm to have any chance of making it to Santiago by the 17th of June.  I did decide to get a later start after being out so late last night consuming tapas.  I woke up around 6:30 and got on the road around 8:30.  It was a very warm day, and with the later start... I ended up hiking much of the day during the peak sun hours.  Once I got out of the city, most of the  walk today was along flat dirt trails, next to busy highways leading out of the city.  I checked into my alburgue around 5pm.  My roommates tonight seem to be mostly Germans, and Romanians.

Tomorrow,  I will try and get a much earlier start to beat the heat.  I will be going through another city (Astorga), with a population of about 12,000.  I'll try and have a lunch stop there, and check out the local area a bit before setting off for my eventual overnight destination.

The internet is not reliable here, so I may have to post/combine the pictures from today with my Stage 19 post/pictures tomorrow.

Lights out.

3 comments:

sym said...

Herding cats and juggling sand underwater ...I like this quote Eric. Very true...life and the circumstances we often find ourselves in make it easy to lose our way.

rufusbartimaeus said...

Be Blessed. I pray for your spirit and health in Jesus. God Bless Bro!

Uncle Richard said...

I am so proud of you as you share this amazing journey with us. I have immensely enjoyed reading your posts. I know that your Dad is proud of you and is watching over you on the Camino. My question to you is: how will you be able to return to life in Ridgeley after this experience? I know that you miss Estalita, Kamryn, Kodie and Kaylin very much. However, it will be fascinating to observe whether your relationship with your family, albeit a great one, will change once you return. Stay strong.