Thursday, June 2, 2016

Stage 12- Burgos to Hontanas

You cannot change your destination overnight, but you can change your direction overnight. 
- Jim Rohn 

Today I covered 32.5 km, 20.2 miles, and 45,053 steps.  My stage 12 walk began with a little walk around Burgos with my Canadian friends and a good breakfast.  Burgos is a beautiful city, and the cathedral is one of nicest ones I've seen in Europe.   
After leaving Burgos, the seven of us headed out to tackle the Meseta.  The cobalt blue sky, and sunny weather made for some great photos, but the warm conditions and cloudless sky  made for a rather toasty walk across this long, mostly shadeless stretch of the Camino.

I hiked with Team Canada for about 10km, and then said goodbye to them at a cafe during my lunch stop.  It was hard to say goodbye to Lauralee, a good friend I'd been hiking with over the entire previous week.  I walked the rest of the day with Doug and Natasha, a young British couple from Bristol that I'd crossed paths with several times before during my journey.  I enjoyed their company and conversation throughout the day.  
We ended up getting into Hontanas around 5:30 pm.  I handwashed some laundry, and then shared some dinner with a Frenchman, and the British couple.  It was one of my better dinners on the Camino.  We had pasta, bread, water, wine, steak and some fries...all for 9.50 euros.  I almost forgot the homemade rice pudding that came with it too.  Simply delicious!!  The dinners on the Camino can be a great time of fellowship and meeting new people from all over the world.

Enjoy the pics from Burgos and the open countryside of the Meseta.












Lights out.

4 comments:

Amber Butcher said...

I love the quotes.
What a fantastic adventure!Makes me want to do something to disengage from life and be able to think. One week vacations and afternoons on the lake are not long enough.
Best of luck as you continue.

sym said...

Beautiful pictures Eric. What a journey. 💗

Eric Slivoskey said...

Hi Amber, thanks for your comment. It has been quite the adventure. I agree that one week trips don't allow for enough to truly disengage.

Eric Slivoskey said...

Hi Amber, thanks for your comment. It has been quite the adventure. I agree that one week trips don't allow for enough to truly disengage.