Monday, June 6, 2016

Stage 17- Reliegos to Leon

"You will face your greatest opposition when you are closest to your biggest miracle."
- Sandra Alder

Today I walked 24.3 km, 15.1 miles, and 34,688 steps from Reliegos to the beautiful city of Leon.  I set off just as the sun was rising, and the weather was pleasant for most of the day.  I did encounter a few brief showers about halfway to my destination.  Once that front passed on, it ended up being a beautiful sunny day.  Leon has a really good feel to it, and it is my favorite of the three larger cities (Pamplona, Burgos, Leon) that I've passed through during my walk on the Camino.  

I arrived into the city in the early afternoon and had to make a run to the fruit market, and Farmacia.  I purchased some Compeed strips there, which are a sort of medicated stick on bandage that can be applied over blistered areas.  This product has been a lifesaver for me so to speak.  I certainly would have ended my Camino days ago, if not for the compeed applicators! 

In the evening, I headed out to meet Doug and Natasha for some tapas in the city.  Doug and Natasha started the Camino the day after me, and they are also making their way towards Santiago.  After finishing the Camino, they hope to go on for a bit to Finistiere (where the far western part of Spain meets the Atlantic Ocean), and then on to Portugal for a short holiday on the coast.

  Doug had the best tapas places already scoped out, so we ended up visiting 8 different tapas establishments!!  I had tapas before in Spain during a trip to Barcelona and Madrid about ten years ago, but I think this was the better experience by far.  We just wandered from street to street, and sometimes into hidden alleyways for these delicious Spanish snacks.  Tapas bars usually really get going around 8-9pm, when Spaniards tend to eat dinner. We sampled the best the city has to offer for close to 3 hours, and then we decided to call it a night. I've included some pictures below of the tapas dishes, as well as some other photos around the city.






















Lights out.

No comments: