Sunday, June 5, 2016

Stage 16- San Nicholas del Real Camino to Reliegos

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world."
- Mahatma Gandhi

I got an even earlier start today, leaving my alburgue around 6:10.
 I walked from San Nicholas del Real Camino to Reliegos, covering 38 km, 23.6 miles, and 51,299 steps. The walk was relatively flat again today.  Much of it was through tilled fields, and loose gravel pathways that ran parallel to a country road.  There were some beautiful meadows (picture included) that showcased a variety of wildflowers.  The red flowers (poppies) have been a very common sight during my walk on the Camino.  I never get tired of seeing them.

 I've included a picture of the outside of my alburgue, taken in the early morning light.  I also included a picture of the sleeping room of the alburgue I'm staying at this evening.  I hit the lodging jackpot today, scoring a room all to myself in a newly remodeled facility.  There are ten beds in my room (bunk bed style), but I'm the only one in here.  There are a few older German couples over in the other bunkroom.  I'm excited to be on my own, and also psyched that I don't have to sleep in a top bunk tonight.  Top bunks were cool at 6 or 7, but that novelty wore off about 40 years ago.  Being on my own also makes it easier/quicker to get ready in the morning.  Most alburgues require you to be out the door by 8am.  I'm usually up around 5:30am and out the door by 6:30.  Sometimes, it is difficult moving about in the morning when you're trying to pack your backpack in the dark, and at the same time not wake the late sleepers up.

I also included a picture of my first course for the dinner I had tonight.  The prices on the Camino still blow my mind.  My room this evening was 9 euros, and the dinner was 7 euros.  Most meals in Spain include 2 main courses and then a postre or dessert.  There is always ample water, wine, and fresh home made bread as well.  My first course tonight was a nice salad with some fresh tuna on top.  I've yet to have a salad here without tuna on top!  The Spaniards love their fish, and it is generally included as one or two of the choices that we get when eating at a local bar/restaurant or alburgue.  My main course was pasta with cheese and tuna on top.  Dessert was vanilla pudding with tuna.... actually they left the tuna out for the postre... thankfully!

Tomorrow I head towards the historical city of Leon, pronounced Leeown.  The city has a population of around 130,000.  The ciudad changed hands many times during its history, so there is ample evidence of Roman ruins, Gothic splendour as seen in the Cathedral, as well as Renaissance and neo-Gothic influence. 

 I may treat myself to a pension or a nicer hostal for tomorrow night.  I'm supposed to meet a British couple (Doug and Natasha) in the city center tomorrow evening for a (little experiment) to find the best tapas in the city.   I'm really looking forward to that.  Doug and I have both decided to try octopus, so that should be interesting.

Here are some pics from my journey today.









Lights out.

2 comments:

sym said...

Love the wildflower pictures you've been posting Eric. Very pretty. Octopus...curious about your thoughts on that. I tried it once out in Monterey.

Lauralee said...

Eric
Say hi to Doug and Natasha for me. You need to let us know where the best tapas is so we can try it in two days from now. Buen Camino
Lauralee