Sunday, June 12, 2016

Stage 23- O'cebreiro to Pintin

" I have found the paradox, that if you love until it hurts, there can be no more hurt, only more love."
- Mother Theresa

Today I walked from O'cebreiro to Pintin and covered 32.8 km, 20.3 miles, and 46,784 steps.  Much of the early part of the walk involved climbing, and I spent most of the last 15 km dropping back down to lower elevations.  The weather was overcast and chilly most of the day in the mountains.  There was also some light rain in the afternoon.  

Tomorrow, I will make my way towards Sarria, a popular starting point for hikers who want to earn a compostela.  You must complete at least 100 km on the Camino to get a compostela (certificate) in Santiago, so many pilgrims actually start their walk in Sarria, which is about 115 km from Santiago.  I expect the traffic on the trail to pick up a bit when I reach the city, and prices for meals, lodging, etc... are also higher the closer you get to Santiago. 

I thought I would share some of the things that I actually do and also some things that I've learned while walking the Camino.  First off, I spend my time in a number of different ways.  I talk to other pilgrims, take in the scenery, and also pay close attention to the yellow arrows and scallop shells that mark the direction of the Camino path.  Much of the time, I walk alone.  During those solo stretches, I will often pray, reflect on the past, think about family and friends, and set goals for the future.  If I'm hungry, I might also think about some food I'm craving when I get home.... like tacos/chicken enchiladas or one of my favorite pizza places.

Now, I will share a handful of things that the Camino has reinforced for me.

- I am fully capable of pushing myself past what I think I can physically handle.  This has happened just about every day on the Camino.  I have pushed through rain, cold, heat, fatigue, falls, multiple blisters, and immense discomfort on a daily basis.  Whenever I've felt even a little bit sorry for myself out here, I tend to think about things like my Syrian friend Fari who walked for 9 months across 5 countries to search for a better life for his family.  I think about many of the people in India who die each year from foot infections because they can not afford shoes, or basic antibiotics to treat the infections they acquire in their feet.  I think about my mom and her courage and strength to be her own advocate during a very serious illness.  She had to fight cancer as it ravaged her body and began to steal her voice away from her.
- The process or journey is almost always more significant and life changing than the destination. Santiago and the compostela are the prizes for finishing, but all of my learning/changing/growth has occurred during the journey.
- People from around the world have far more things in common than differences.  Despite speaking different languages, growing up in different cultures, having different views on politics, religion, etc... we can look to the common ground that we all share.  I believe in general... people want something meaningful to do, something to believe in, someone to love, and something to look forward to.
- I am actually drawn to the solitude of the Camino.  I love interacting with people, but I do enjoy the quiet time and solitude that the Camino can provide.  I really don't ever get bored out here.  I've always been the type of person who has no problem playing golf by myself, or going to the movies alone, etc... I have treasured all of the time that I've had to be alone with my thoughts on the Camino.
- I need to be more sensitive to the needs of others, and act with more assertiveness when I feel that somebody needs help or is hurting in some way.  On the Camino, I have seen so many acts of kindness.  People offering food, water, a kind word.  One retiree from Ireland just randomly gave me support strips to use for my plantar fasciitis.  My friend Lauralee gave me Compeed strips for my blisters, and has helped provide many helpful suggestions for taking care of my feet.  I have seen complete strangers helping others work on their feet, care for blisters, etc...  Today, I actually thought of the lesson that Christ taught when he washed the feet of his disciples.   It is a great example of the importance of serving others.
-   Last but not least, I really love and appreciate my wife!!  It didn't take the Camino for me to realize this, but I continually marvel at all the sacrifices she had to make for me to take this journey.  She made similar kinds of sacrifices when I did my month long ESL course in Prague two summers ago.  She is supportive, and unselfish to say the least.  Many people probably have trouble figuring out how we can make something like this work, but we just do.  I know she will support me and my goals, and I am committed to doing the same for her.  If she called me tomorrow and told me she wanted us to move to Timbuktu and sell frisbees to Eskimos, I'd go do it... because it would involve her.  I might question the practicality/feasibility of it, but I would do it nonetheless.  Thanks Estalita for all your loyalty, encouragement, love, and support.  I am truly blessed to be married to my best friend.  I love you.

Here are a few pics.... (the rest wouldn't download), from this stage of the Camino.






Lights out.

No comments: