Thursday, June 9, 2016

Stage 20- El Ganso to Acebo

"Without ambition one starts nothing.  Without work one finishes nothing.  The prize will not be sent to you.  You have to win it."
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Today marked my 20th straight day hiking the Camino Trail.  In some respects it feels like I just started, but in other ways I feel like I've been on the trail for a number of years now!  On my 20th day, I walked from El Ganso to Acebo and covered 24.4 km, 15.1 miles, and 36,933 steps. 

 It was one of my most difficult days on the trail for a number of reasons.  The ascent marked my highest point on the Camino for the entire journey.  I did ok with the climbing, but the steep descents were extremely challenging for me today.  I've included a picture below of the large rocks and ruts that essentially serve as the trail on many of these downhill sections.  It is hazardous to say the least!!   I was trying to protect my ankles as much as possible, but I nearly bit the dust on several occasions.  The steep declines also burn different muscles in the legs, and can be fairly hard on the knees too.  The heat and bugs were out in full force too, so I really felt tested throughout the whole day. 

 I arrived into Acebo around 2:30 and walked into the first alburgue/bar for a cold drink and something to eat.  It felt good to get off my feet and restock my carb supply with some homemade spaghetti al carbonara.  One hour later I was still sitting there chomping on Spanish olives (free with any beverage) and chatting with Carlos the innkeeper/bartender.  
 I finally lifted off the barstool around 3:30, and texted my wife to say that I wanted to walk another 8 km and cover two more villages.  I said I would see how the first 150 steps went and then make a decision.  The first 150 are usually not good after any sit-down on the Camino.  In fact, after any stop there is what is commonly known as the "Dirty Thirty."  Essentially,  this is the first very painful 30 steps you take while your body screams and begs you to put the bloody pack down, donate all your gear, and hop the first plane back home!!  I usually don't give in to the "dirty thirty" or the "Not so nifty 150", but today I decided to cut the day short.  Estalita encouraged me to do so, and things usually work out when I listen to her.  ha ha!  It also didn't hurt that Carlos highly recommended the nicest alburgue in town....just 300 meters thru town on the left.  300 meters in Spanish usually translates to about 2 miles, but it ended up not being that far down the way.  I have included a few pictures of my alburgue below.  It is the nicest one I've stayed at since I began walking 20 days ago.  It is very modern, clean, has a beautiful patio area, bar, swimming pool, etc...  I've found the alburgue promised land and life is grand....at least until it is time to try and put my shoes on and start walking again.  

Here are some pics from a challenging day in the mountains with a great alburgue choice.










Lights out.

2 comments:

Mikey said...

Hit up that Pool! No speedos tho :)

sym said...

Hope you took advantage of the bar and pool for a bit! :) Sounds like everything conspired to make yesterday very difficult. Thinking about you.