Wednesday, February 4, 2009

A Weekend to Remember



I've now been home for just over 24 hours, and I'm trying to process and reflect on everything I was able to experience over the past four days. My time in South Florida was very brief, but also very enriching. I feel very blessed to have had the opportunity to attend the NFL Experience event the day before the Super Bowl, as well as the game itself. I also took some time early in the day on Super Bowl Sunday and Monday to visit the Sarasota, Florida area. I lived in Sarasota for a short time during 1978-79. Oddly enough, I watched the Steelers play in the Super Bowl (on TV) when I lived there, except that time it was versus the Rams and the Steelers won 31-19.


Most of today's blog will be devoted to some pictures that I took while on this trip. The majority of the pictures are related to the game, but there are a few that highlight some of the sights in the Sarasota area.


Hope you enjoy the photos.






Raymond James Stadium, the day before the big game.






I always knew Cowboy fans were a little different from the rest of us! :-)







Replica of a ticket to Super Bowl I. Ticket cost = $10







Some equipment and photo of "Pudge" Hefelfinger - one of the early professional players who suited up for one of the first Pittsburgh teams.







Jerseys from two all-time Steeler greats who are in the Hall of Fame




#59 - Jack Ham




#52 - Mike Webster










Notice there are no fans around this particular display - sorry Bengals fans!






Fans of all ages could enjoy interactive games and competitions





Two NFL players, Jason Campbell and Roosevelt Colvin, participate in the Sprint Phone-A-Friend booth.


The likeness of a future Hall of Famer.


Fans getting "high" at the Under Armour Vertical Jump competition.


The process of creating a Wilson football begins.


The NFL Network broadcast area. No, that's not Rich Eisen on the ladder!


Walking on Nokomis Beach, near Venice, Florida.




Some crazy guy from North Dakota decided to take the plunge into the 60 degree Gulf of Mexico. Here's to you Mikey Moss :-)





Fossilized shark's teeth that I found while combing through the sand at a beach in Venice, Florida. I used to find hundreds of these on this beach as a kid, but it took me over an hour just to locate these three.



This one is for Dusty!!



When at the sea.....eat seafood. Some fish and chips at an Irish pub in Venice, Florida.






Look out McNabb - I'm coming out early and entering the Draft.




Check out these prices. $15 for a sandwich at the Super Bowl!




View from my seat, just prior to kickoff.





"Steeler Nation" surrounded me. I felt like I was part of a big family, that only people from "The Burgh" can truly comprehend.




Steelers in the Red Zone primed to score.




Sizing up the Cardinal defense.




Halftime show featuring "The Boss"




It is official.....6 Lombardi Trophies and a declaration by the experts as "the team of the century." Let the confetti fly.



Brett Keisel - postgame celebration.




Presentation of the trophies.




St. Martha's Catholic School - Sarasota, Florida. Where I attended the third grade.








Favorite fishing spot from my time in Florida. Used to catch whiting, snapper, sea bass, and even a few sand sharks from this spot.





Sharing a visit with a couple of special friends from Sarasota. Had a few hours to catch up on nineteen years of time that has passed since I last saw Dick and Mary. The unique thing about good friends is feeling like you can just pick up where you left off. We had some coffee and apple pie together, talked about our families, assorted triumphs and struggles over the years, and then shared a word of prayer. You won't meet two better people than Dick and Mary. I sincerely thank the two of you for inviting me over. I look forward to bringing the family along for our next visit.

Hope you enjoyed the pictures. Let me know what you think, even if you are a Cardinals fan!!!! Kudos to Kurt Warner and the Arizona Cardinals. They played one heck of a game, left everything they had on the field, and have nothing to be ashamed of.


Lights Out!


3 comments:

Mikey said...

ha I'm glad you jumped in! That's what it's all about :)

Eric Slivoskey said...

Mikey,

It was very exhilarating to say the least. Probably not as frigid as the Irish Sea, but still plenty cold!!

Mikey said...

haha I bet your glad you did it tho!