Monday, February 9, 2009

Facts about life in Finland

Thought I would spend some time today talking about differences that appear to exist between Finnish and American culture. One of the reasons I enjoy visiting other countries and experiencing other cultures is to see how different people live their everyday lives. Sometimes, I am very frustrated or inconvenienced by these differences, while other times I welcome or embrace these new ideals. One of my major fascinations or love for European culture centers on their ability to enjoy their lives in a more authentic way. Generally speaking, Europeans take more time to smell the roses and celebrate each day. The Italians refer to this as "La Dolce Vita", or "The Sweet Life". There is a saying over there that goes Italians work to live and Americans live to work. People often ask me about culture shock, and I always tend to feel the most culture shock when I return to the states after a stay in Europe. Don't get me wrong, I love coming home and I have great pride in my country, but I do relish the opportunity to slow life down when I am over there. As Americans, we tend to often view life as a big "To Do" list and we create very little time for reflection. Most people you talk to are very busy and have many irons in the fire. It is as if life is a race and the more you can prove that you are capable of doing, the more points you score in the game. Unfortunately, this usually leads to major stress, which will manifest itself in our lives in many negative ways. In many European countries, there is a 36 hour work week, and it is not uncommon for workers to get 4-6 weeks of vacation per year. Businesses often shut down for 1-2 months at some point during the year, most aren't open on Sundays, and they often shut things down for a few hours at the lunch hour to go do something they want to do. I could get used to that!!! Anyway, Here are some interesting aspects of Finnish life.

1. Finland is considered a welfare state-- there are high taxes, but also generous vacations, social health care that is available to all and is one of the most advanced in the world, gov't help with childcare, generous leave time for mothers and free food in the schools. In the U.S. we have much lower taxes, but we have a healthcare system in shambles, limited vacations and leave time for mothers, and our welfare system is a system that is wrought with fraud and corruption. In many instances, we continue to help people who have no intent of ever helping themselves.
2. 60% of 15 year olds in Finland read a daily newspaper. In America, that figure is probably less than half of that. I have trouble getting my 18-24 old students to read anything. I think they are either not interested or too lazy to read. In my experiences at the college here, they would rather sleep. This probably explains why Americans are so ignorant about other cultures, do very poorly in identifying regions of the world or even their own country on a map, and generally have very little interest in events outside of the U.S. because it doesn't affect them directly.
3. Most Finns have some type of summerhouse that they use during the summer months to reconnect with nature and relax with their families. These summerhouses are usually very spartan and often very basic. Most have one common element that a Finn can't live without and that is a sauna. Americans can have second homes too, but they are more likely to be more elegant and decadent. These homes may be seen as status symbols and may only be used for a week or two out of the whole year.
4. Finns usually are at least bilingual and many of them can speak 3-4 languages. As a country, we don't do so well in this area. I have to report that I fall into this category as well. I do have plans to change this fact about myself.
5. People from Finland have one of the highest life expectancies in the world, and also one of the lowest infant mortality rates. Generally speaking, people are very active and very involved in sports and leisure activities. They have ample time away from their jobs and aren't necessarily defined by what they do for a living.
6. Finally, Finland has one of the best educational systems in the world, but yet they start school at a later age than us and get out of school at a younger age as well. Education is highly valued and well funded.

I'm sure there are some negative aspects to living in Finland, but I thought I would focus on some of the more endearing qualities. It is less than 3 weeks now before I will get to experience this country for the first time. Lights out.

No comments: