Thursday, May 26, 2016

Stage 4- Pamplona to Uterga

 "Not all those who wander are lost."    J.R.R. Tolkien

Today was another gorgeous day on the Camino.  I covered 16.8 km, about 10.5 miles, and 26,883 steps.  I set off around 9:15 after an unexpected encounter with a Syrian refugee in the center of Pamplona.... ( I will blog more on that in a later post.)  I hiked for a few hours to get out of the city, and then ended up making a lunch stop at a great little village cafe in Zariquiegui.  I intended to stay for an hour to rest my feet, have some food, and catch up on a few emails.  This stop ended up being a very productive stop for me.   I was able to rest a bit.  That was key since I've developed my first painful blister on my left foot.  I was also able to connect to the Wifi, and it was by far the best service I've found on the Camino.  I had a baguette, fresh avocado, and some freshly squeezed orange juice for my early day meal.  I also enjoyed a cafe con leche, one of my favorite Spanish treats during my 3 hours at this oasis on the Camino.  After tending to my wounds, and drying some clothes, I set off for Puente la Reina in the middle of the day.  This was not the best decision I've made on the hike.  Between the intense heat of the day, my sore foot, and the intense climb and steep descent over the next 5-6 km, I decided to call it a day  in Uterga.  I ended up staying in a small alburgue (10 euros), and I also sprung for the pilgrim dinner that night for another 10 euros.  There were only 3 of us in the alburgue, so I was able to get a bottom bunk and not worry about waiting in line for a shower.  I spent the evening organizing my pack, planning my route for the next day, and sharing dinner and conversation with a really nice retired couple from Holland.  Cannelas and Marie were probably in their early seventies.  Like me, they were attempting to walk the entire way to Santiago.  They were walking at a rate of about 10-15 km per day.  They were so excited to be out there enjoying their adventure.  Most of our conversation centered on the Camino, our families and friends, and politics in America.  They were very curious about Donald Trump, and they wanted to know how I felt about the upcoming elections in America!


Lights out.

7 comments:

George said...

Try not to start so late in the morning so as to avoid the heat of the day.

sym said...

My favorite quote. 👍🏼 Sounds like some intense conditions between the rain and heat you've encountered.

Eric Slivoskey said...

George, we have been getting out a little earlier the last few days, around 6:30, and that does help some.

Eric Slivoskey said...

Shaina, one of my favorite quotes too. The heat is picking up here, so trying to start out a little earlier...about 6:30.

Mikey said...

It's the only quote hanging on my wall. 😊

Mikey said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Eric Slivoskey said...

Mikey, I knew you would like that quote.