Saturday, May 21, 2016

It all starts in St. Jean Pied de Port...time to ascend into the Pyrenees mountains.

"Whether you believe you can, or whether you believe you can't, you're probably right."   Henry T. Ford

Today I begin my Camino in the little village of St. Jean Pied de Port, France.  This idyllic picturesque hamlet lies in the shadow of the Pyrenees mountains.  The climb is steep from the get go and it won't be long before the "Camino" leads into Spain.  Last night I spent my first night in an alburgue.  These are the accomodations that most hikers (pilgrims) seek out after a long day on the trail.  Alburgues cost anywhere from 5-25 dollars a night.  In this part of Europe, all transactions are done in Euros.  It takes about 1.20 in U.S. currency to equal one euro.  The alburgues sometimes include a basic breakfast like mine did this morning.  This will include some fruit, coffee, juice, and indeed some marmalade and croissants since I am in France.  The alburgues are usually located in public or private guesthouses, monasteries, churches, inns, lensions, etc...  You never quite now what you might find.  My room last night included 5 sets of bunks with 9 out 10 spaces filled.  I believe there were 6 French, 2 Spaniards, one Chinese man, and me.  It was quiet and clean, but one of the campers' alarms went off at 3 am this morning...and it woke me up.  I was never able to get back to sleep.  Perhaps, it is the anticipation of getting started!!

Here are a few photos of the village of St. Jean Pied de Port. (The clam shell is the traditional symbol of the Camino.)


5 comments:

Mikey said...

I'm definitely going to be praying for you on this journey. I really do hope the path before you is a blessed one.

sym said...

Awesome to be able to see these things as you begin Eric.

Eric Slivoskey said...

Thanks Mikey, I really need and appreciate that.

Eric Slivoskey said...

I agree. I certainly feel blessed.

dianek66 said...

Prayers for your journey...can't wait to follow your adventure.
Diane Knowlton, former student