Wednesday, May 25, 2016

Stage 3- Zubiri to Pamplona

Today started off with misty conditions, but ended up being a glorious day in the 70 degree range.  The journey was a gorgeous one through river valleys, farmlands, a few mountain ascents, and even some city walking as we entered into the city of Pamplona.  This stage was 20.9 kilometers, about 13 miles, and 30,147 steps.  Pamplona is a city of 200,000 people, but it felt much smaller than that.  Many of the businesses and restaurants were closed when I arrived in the city around 3 pm.  This is the norm for the region as Mondays are treated more like a weekend day in the states.  After a bit of searching I found a small pension to spend the night, which was located just off the main square Plaza del Castillo.  I did some laundry, caught up on some work emails, and then ventured out for the typical late Spanish meal.  It is customary to eat dinner in Spain around 9 or 10 pm.  After dinner, I briefly checked out the Cafe Iruna, one of Ernest Hemingway's old haunts, before heading back to my room to pack my things up for the next days journey.

Here are some pics from this stage of my journey.

Lights out.

1 comment:

George said...

Sounds like you are finding your rhythm.

Buen Camino, ULTREIA!!!