Wednesday, May 5, 2010

A Second Time Around

I finally made it to Finland after about 27 straight hours of traveling, which included about 11 hours in the air, 5 hours by train, and a mere 45 minutes on the bus. Of course, the 27 hours does include the 5 hour layover in Frankfurt, Germany.

Things have been very busy since I arrived in Seinajoki. We have been getting our phone and internet connections sorted out, helping the import players get situated, and setting up our practice schedules. My initial accomodations weren't the greatest, so I have relocated to another apartment in town. It is close to where I lived last year, but it looks like I will be moving again at the end of the month.

We have had two practices already and there is great potential on this team. We are still missing many of our regular players, so we should be closer to full strength by next week this time.

The weather has been very chilly compared to back home. When I left Maryland on Saturday, it was 91 degrees. It has been in the 50's here during the day and evening practice temps. are probably in the mid to upper 40's. It is already getting light out at around 3:30 am, so I know we'll be close to 21-22 hours of daylight within the next 2-3 weeks.

I have only been here 3 days and here is what I've experienced so far.
1. one flat tire while driving the white bomber-- check
2.one parking ticket while parking directly in front of a bank--check
3. one administered breathalyzer test while driving back to my apartment (no, I was not drinking)--check
4. two drunks, one being thrown out of a restaurant and another keeping me up most of the night at my first apartment--priceless

For those who love Finland, it pays to discover. (ok, some of you may not get this!)

Anyway, I really am having a great time and it is good to be back. I miss my family dearly and can't wait for their arrival next month.

Here are a few pics from my journey over to Finland.

A businessman on a bicycle at the Frankfurt, Germany Airport


Lufthansa planes lined up at Frankfurt International


I think there is a bread shortage in Germany. I have seen this before when traveling here. A big bratwurst and a small bun can be a tough eating challenge. It leaves very little room for the onions, mustard, and kraut.


German race cars in the airport-- Not sure about the Hess sponsorship though?

Saved the best pic for last-- This one is for my son Kodie. I didn't realize U.S. Airways had such great taste in football teams.

Lights out.

1 comment:

Dusty 6'6'' 250 said...

Man coach I sponsor everyone who wants the Hess logo on their product. I've got so much money, I just throw it everywhere (Hess Gasoline, german race cars)...Let me know if you need a Hess logo on the jerseys, I've got you covered!