Friday, May 21, 2010

What time is it, Game Time?

The long awaited opening weekend for Maple League Play kicked off last night here in Finland as the Porvoo Butchers defeated the Lappeenranta Border Knights 31-21 in the first league action of the 2010 season. Our season opener is tomorrow afternoon 4 pm Finnish time as we take on the Helsinki Roosters at our home field in Seinajoki. Considering our four straight road games after this contest and the mid summer break, we will not play on our home field again until a Friday night game against the Porvoo Butchers on July 9th.

Our league appears to have a great deal of competitive balance this year, so getting a win in this home opener is a big deal. The Roosters will provide quite the challenge, so I am hoping we can overcome all the distractions we've had during our pre-season and come out today with a victory. We have had more intensity and better participation at practice over the past 2-3 days, but our offense still isn't clicking, so I have some definite concerns going into this matchup. I really believe the key for us today is to get out of the gate quickly and put some points on the board early. The Roosters offense is explosive and built to score on big plays. I believe we can be physical with a team like this. It will be a necessary ingredient if we want to slow down their attack

It is just after 4 am here now and it looks like the middle of the day outside. The sunlight woke me up around 3 this morning, so I'm not sure that I'll be able to get back to sleep. I do have curtains this year to block out some of the light, but it still takes some getting used to. Maybe, I will just stay up and watch some more film. My adrenaline is already pumping and after all, it is game time!

2 comments:

Estalita said...

Good Luck! We'll be cheering for you in Maryland and wishing we could be there to do it in person - 3 1/2 more weeks!!

Mikey said...

Good Luck this season!!! Wish I was there cheering yall on to! Hopefully we'll talk soon!