Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Crocodiles Club Night

The Crocodiles had their "Club Night" last week as community members were invited to the stadium for some festivities. The junior team played a short scrimmage, the cheerleaders performed some dance routines, and our senior team and coaches were introduced. The club is trying to continue its outreach into the surrounding areas to spread the word about American football in Seinajoki. One of the efforts the team has undertaken is working to grow the youth football programs in this part of the country. There might be as many as 3 or 4 new youth teams that start up this summer in this region of western Finland. The hope is that these programs will continue to expand and ultimately supply the Crocodiles with players for many years on down the road. I was able to have one small part in contributing to this effort over this past off-season. During my time coaching in the midwest, we at Trinity use to play a small college in Illinois called Principia College. I got to know many of their coaches very well and when they dropped their football program this past year, a door opened for me to help the Crocodiles get some great equipment. As it turns out, the Crocs are getting almost all of Principia's football gear at a very discounted price. The college has also been kind enough to donate many items to us for free including new wireless head sets, new game jerseys, and nearly new game pants. Buying football gear in this part of the world is not only difficult, but also very expensive. I know this equipment will be put to good use here in Finland for many years to come.


Crocs youth cheerleaders performing at the team "Club Night"


Riku # 77, Big Sami # 76, HP in the background, Jukka # 68, Jari # 72, and Janne # 60
These are the guys who work hard in the trenches as offensive lineman, but usually only get mentioned or noticed if they make a mistake--




kitchen in my apartment


I currently share an apartment with our other American coach Todd Klugh and his wife Maja-- Here is my room-- I haven't completely unpacked yet because I will be moving again in a few weeks just before my family arrives.


The rest of my Finnish kitchen


Lights out.

No comments: