Wednesday, February 8, 2012

The Predominant Way of Life in Calcutta

Today, I wanted to post some photos that capture the stark contrast between my everyday life here ( based on yesterday's photos) and the reality of the situation for more than half the people. Remember, Calcutta has around 15 million in total population, and some 60% of them are unemployed. I have visited some poor areas before in places like China, Mexico, Colombia, Honduras, and even eastern Europe. However, I have never seen anything like what I am witnessing here on a daily basis. Pictures cannot do it justice, but I think it's important to at least try and portray what we see here all around us. When I say all around us, I literally mean 30-50 paces outside our hotel in every direction will put you into some of the roughest slums around. Please understand this isn't limited to certain regions. This is the reality of what we've see here in 99% of the areas of the cities we've visited. Despite the hardships, the Indian people have an amazing spirit, incredible resiliency, and are seemingly the most pleasant people I have met during my travels to 40+ countries.


One of the vegetable/flower markets we visited recently-- In this area, the people were rolling up piles of feces with their hands to be used for fuel

Family ties run deep here as families tend to share what resources they have, no matter how little it may be

We wondered into this slaughter house/housing area. It was absolute squalor, with animals being slaughtered everywhere as we walked thru. There were cats, sick dogs, birds, rats the size of dogs, goats, all competing for space in this building. Birds and rats were eating from stacks of freshly butchered meat. People were sleeping on the meat counters, knives would be used to butcher an animal, and then to cut fruit, right after being picked up off the ground. The sights and smells we all witnessed here is something we are all still talking about.

Locals lathering up before taking a dip into the Ganges River--- the dirtiest body of water I have ever laid eyes on. The river is full of dead things, including people, animals, chemicals, and unspeakable amounts of trash. Locals use this water for bathing, laundry, cooking, etc... and the river is also considered to be very sacred to many based on religious principles.

A kid begins to boil a freshly butchered animal, with other animals laying on the dirty ground.

More bathers in the Ganges

This girl approached me asking if I had anything for her. I only had some candy left that I'd brought with me from America to hand out, so she was happy to secure a few pieces of bubble gum to share with her sister.

There are literally thousands of residents who crowd around the banks of this massive river

A friendly game of cards beside the railroad tracks

Trash is everywhere you look along the riverbanks

And also in the river itself

Some local boatmen on the Ganges

These old friends were kind enough to allow me to snap their photo

These fellows were also ok with me taking their picture

A final image as I walk along the tracks, where people can be found in large numbers, sometimes sleeping, within inches of where high speed trains pass by frequently.



Lights out.

1 comment:

Mom said...

These images will stay with me forever. My stomach is in a knot just thinking about how some people in this old world live. God forgive me and most everyone I know for ever complaining about anything. Shame on us!
I don't think I could have handled walking through that slaughter area, Eric. That was horrific!
Thank you for keeping us all posted. We miss you!