Friday, February 10, 2012

Packing Up For Delhi

It is just before 6 am, and I'm preparing my notes for our morning scrimmage, and getting ready to pack up my things for my flight later today. I am flying out of Kolkata today and heading for New Delhi. The last seven days here have flown by, and it is time to say good bye to many new friends. This city has certainly left a deep impression on me, and my departure from this place can best be described as bittersweet. I have met some fascinating people in the city itself, players and coaches on the Kolkata Vipers football team, our hotel staff, and a new friend in Pastor Doddy Sudarsan Murty (picture below). New Delhi will be the fifth city I'll have visited and worked at in India over the course of the last month. The five cities include Mumbai, Chennai, Pune, Kolkata, and Delhi. Here are some more images from my time in Kolkata this past week.


Common scene as animals are routinely rounded up in the city streets


Came across this Wesleyan church near the New Market area of the city


Pastor Doddy and me. He is the pastor of the Northpointe Community Church India in Kolkata. Pastor Doddy is connected with my Uncle David's church in California. We shared a few hours together on Thursday talking about his ministry in India, and the vision he has for reaching people in this country. Pastor Doddy is a major figure in the area for planting churches. He not only preaches the gospel, but he emphasizes the importance of social work ministry. He described his social ministry as helping to serve the poorest of the poor in this city, and ministering to their most basic needs. He is a very sincere man, with a compassionate heart, and a determined spirit.


A picture of our hotel as taken from our practice facility at Salt Lake Stadium


Inside Salt Lake Stadium


The busy scene at the "New Market" area in Calcutta-- This place has literally thousands of little stands and tiny storefronts, selling everything from luggage, flowers, handbags, to traditional Indian clothing. The merchandise hanging on the right side of the picture is mainly handbags, and these alone stretched for more than a city block. (That's a lot of handbags!!)


Coach Tony Simmons doing some "chalk talk" with the team and drawing up some special teams plays.


Lights out.

No comments: