Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Off to India

It has been quite a while since I last posted on this blog. In fact, it has been nearly a year, so I figured it was time to jump back in. Over the next five weeks or so, I will be writing about my experiences here in India with the Elite Football League of India. I have been brought over here to help develop and train both Indian players and coaches in this new venture of professional American football. The EFLI is organized and supported by a group of international investors, the Indian government, and some notable American footballers like Ron Jaworski, Mike Ditka, Michael Irvin, and Green Bay Packers linebacker Brandon Chillar. There are currently 5 teams being set up in places like Pune, Mumbai, Calcutta, Bangalore, and Chennai.

I am currently staying in Mumbai, the largest city in India. You may recognize this city in the news now because Oprah Winfrey is here doing some work and filming some documentaries in this area. Mumbai is also the city where the movie Slumdog Millionaire was filmed. The setting for much of this film is Dharavi, one of the city's largest slums, with over a million people living in an area equal to the size of about 535 acres. Mumbai is massive, with about 20 million residents. It is a vibrant place with some tough issues to face, like rampant pollution, overcrowding, extreme poverty, and a series of terrorist attacks in recent years, including the large scale attacks in 2008 that left hundreds dead.

It is a challenge teaching football in a country where the main sport is cricket, and the average person has had little or no exposure to America's most beloved sport. The market for American football could be huge, but it will take a lot of work to influence even a fraction of the 1.2 billion people that live in this country. I decided that I wanted to be a part of this challenge, so that is why I am here. This experience combines two things that I love doing, traveling/experiencing other cultures, and coaching the game of football. I feel blessed to be here and given such a wonderful opportunity. My family, including Estalita and the kids have been very supportive of me coming over here as well. Separation from family and friends is never easy, and I'm not always sure that it is even worth it. However, the struggle inherent in doing something like this ultimately always seems to bring our family closer together. Another big motivator for me to come to India is for me to be moved out of my comfort zone. Visiting a place like this can't help but give one a new perspective on life. I need to be reminded daily that I am blessed beyond all measure, and that I need to find new ways to give back to those who are struggling to survive.

Here are some pics from my first few days in India.



Mumbai Gladiators begin their stretching routine



Mumbai Practice Field-- a.k.a. "The Dust Bowl"



American & Indian Coaches in our group



The practice facility is very spartan, but we have plenty of footballs!



Gathering the group together after a hot practice



I met "Sarej" on my first day in Mumbai



This family was pleased to sell me some small handcrafted items



This little girl was so excited to have her photo taken



The Three Musketeers



One of the thousands of stray dogs that roam the streets of Mumbai



Domino's Pizza delivery vehicles


The "Taj" Hotel-- Site of a violent 2008 terrorist attack in the city



Monument at the Gateway to India




Mother and her little girl searching for something to eat



Boats on the Arabian Sea



Lots of Laundry for 1.2 billion people


Common dwellings in the city



More city homes




Mumbai is located on the Arabian Sea


Common storefronts in the city... Notice the cow in front of the one business


Lights out.

6 comments:

Uncle Richard said...

Hey Eric
Thanks for taking the time to share your experiences with your family and friends. It must be difficult to witness all the poverty that surrounds you. Best wishes in this new adventure. I am sure that you will not be the same person when you return to HdG.
Love, Richard

l said...

wow...Excited for you Coach. Learn all you can and enjoy this journey of your life! I am proud of you and glad you got this opportunity!

Dusty

George said...

Your adventure continues! I'm looking forward to more updates.
ENJOY!!!

JBishop said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
JBishop said...

Keep the updates coming!

Mom said...

We are really enjoying hearing about life in India!
We are proud of you, Eric, for not being afraid to step out of your comfort zone to make a difference in the world.
Remember to take good care of yourself.
Hey, everybody, this kid is ours!