Saturday, January 28, 2012

Back On Track

I am finally back online after being mostly in a state of confusion, agony, and misery over the past 72 hours. Some sort of sinister south Indian virus decided to attack me starting sometime on Tuesday. After a doctor's visit on Wednesday night, some more herbs (thanks mom), rest, and a ton of fluids, I am back to about 70% health. I am going to try and hang on and finish my five week commitment because there is so much left to see and do while I am here.

Most of you know that I am a person who has a strong faith in Jesus Christ, so I am also thankful to the Lord for helping me battle my illness here in India. When I got sick, I made a decision to thank God for the struggle that was placed before me.

Now on to some football talk.

The teams we are working with are making great strides, and I have never experienced anything quite like the total effort, enthusiasm, and willingness to learn that these athletes bring to each and every practice. I am not exaggerating when I say these guys would run through a brick wall for us if we instructed them to do so.

Today was our last day working with the Chennai Swarm of the EFLI, and we are leaving tomorrow afternoon to fly to Pune. This team doesn't have the numbers that some of the other teams in the league have, but they have the chance to be a really solid team. They have treated us well during our stay here, and it was really sad to say goodbye to everybody after this morning's practice. In fact, the goodbyes took close to an hour. There were lots of high fives, hugs, photos, dancing. The Swarm players literally took us off our feet, throwing us up into the air to show their happiness and appreciation for our visit. This was certainly a new experience for me. I have had many a Gatorade shower, but going airborne was definitely a new high for me. (hope you enjoyed the pun!)

Here are some images from the last 3-4 days in Chennai.


This poor man just epitomizes what so many of the under privileged must endure. He didn't ask for a thing from me, but I felt compelled to give him 10 bucks. The smile he offered me was worth more than the money.

Typical traffic in the city on the way back from practice


Almost snuck away in this rickshaw before they caught me! These 3 wheeled vehicles serve the same function as American taxi cabs and there are literally millions of them in India.


Our last practice in Chennai took place on the beach. These guys reminded me of the Indian version of Venice Beach, California. Venice Beach is also known as Muscle beach and is full of weightlifters and body builders.


Another first for me. On the beach scrimmage. The team does these scrimmages on Saturdays as a way to open the game up to the public and draw in new interest to the sport.


One of our DB/WR Coaches- Mark Philmore. Mark is a very friendly and bright young coach. In this photo, he is explaining the rules of American football to some curious bystanders. Mark played college football at Northwestern, and then wide receiver with the Chicago Bears.


Our QB Coach- Stan Bedwell preparing to be tossed into the air


The Storm in the shotgun formation


Me and my Dline and Oline that I had the pleasure of teaching this week


They talked me into it!!


Looking off into the Indian Ocean. The devastating tsunami that struck this part of the world some 7-8 years ago now, devastated this very beach. More than 200 people in this area lost their lives when the big waves struck.

Stan has been a great roommate here in India. I was his college coach when he played at Trinity nearly 8 years ago. He is now entering his 7th season of playing and coaching football overseas. He sat in my living room in the winter of 2005, telling me his dream was to get paid while continuing to play football, and also see the world. At that point in his life, he'd barely been out of Arkansas. Now some 25 countries later and counting, he is enjoying the life he one day only dreamed of.



One last picture of the Chennai Storm and our coaching staff.


Lights out.

1 comment:

Mom said...

Oh my, Eric. We were sorry to hear that you have been so ill. We are relieved to hear that you are recovering.
I cannot put into words how much we are enjoying hearing about your adventures and the Indian culture. Your pictures are great! They make us step back and be ashamed of any complaining we may be tempted to allow to fall from our lips. Even our pets do not have to scrounge through the trash looking for nourishment. We enjoy such abundance, and sadly, we take it for granted most of the time.
Keep up the wonderful work you are doing and know that you are always in our prayers.
Love,
Mom