Saturday, February 26, 2011

Great Sports Names

Last week while checking one of my favorite football websites, I came across this bit of information mentioning that one of the coaches for the Indianapolis Colts had been promoted to a new position on the coaching staff. Once I read the name of the coach, I thought that I must do a blog posting on the best names in sports. By the way, the name of this particular coach is Jim Bob Cooter. I am thinking that maybe his parents were inspired one day while watching Boss Hog, Cleetus, Uncle Jessie, and the Dukes of Hazzard, and hence the name Jim Bob Cooter. In any case, here are some other classic names that come to mind in the wide world of sports.

For those of you who watched World Championship Wrestling back in the day, there was a wrestler named Dusty Rhodes.

One of my favorite football names of all time has to be Alge Crumpler. The Steelers had a running back a number of years ago named Chris Fuamatu'Malafa. Now that is a real mouthful.

Some others include former Texas QB Major Applewhite, NBA basketball player World B. Free, and college football coaches Bronco Mendenhall, Joker Phillips, and the legendary Spyke Dykes.

Let me know if you have any good ones to add to the list.


Lights out.

2 comments:

l said...

Former RB Michigan - Tim Biakabatuka...I think he got drafted by the Carolina Panthers and played a few years...

RB Cleveland Browns - Ben Gay

Coach_Odell said...

There was a DI college basketball player a few years ago who played in the NCAA tournament named God Shamgod.