Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Surprise-- I'm Home

This past weekend we traveled to Tampere, (the second largest city in Finland) to take on the Saints. We started off a bit slow, playing like a team coming off a game we had at times dominated, but still lost just the week before. Our first quarter hangover put us in a 7-0 hole and we just seemed out of sync. After settling down a bit and regrouping, the team found its way back on track and led 14-7 at the half. We made a few adjustments at the intermission and then came out after the break with more consistent play. We ended up with a 31-10 victory. Next week, we travel to Helsinki to take on the Wolverines. We have to play much better if we hope to beat this team on their home field next weekend.

Now, on to the rest of my weekend. After the Saints game, the family of our starting defensive end Janne took me to the train station at Tampere to begin my long journey home for the weekend. Once I realized the schedule for the season back in February, I began to plan a surprise trip home to see my family. The idea of not seeing my family for a period of 45 days was too much for me to deal with. I noticed a Friday night game on the schedule and then a Sunday evening game for the following week. With the extra time between games, the fact that we have a second American coach, and the approval of the management, I set to work on booking some flights and trying to keep the secret from my Estalita and the kids.

Needless to say, there were some challenges along the way. My wife has the in born 6th sense that all mothers seem to possess, so I had to find a way to keep the credit card statements from her. I involved my brother-in-law and sister-in-law in this clandestine operation and even set up a secret email account for flight itineraries and communication purposes, etc...

Then, there were some other unexpected curve balls along the way, like the Icelandic volcano, the threat of an eruption by the second larger volcano, and even some last minute flight cancellations because of the current British Airways cabin crew strike.

After navigating through all of these hurdles and a few late trains and minor flight delays, I was able to arrive back in Philadelphia Saturday afternoon. I set it up for my family to go to my brother-in-laws restaurant and sports bar (Torino's) for some pizza and this is where I showed up unannounced. Estalita and the kids were in shock and very surprised to say the least. Over the last few days, we have been enjoying the 90 degree weather in Maryland and spending time outside swimming, barbecuing, watching movies, and playing ball with the kids. Oh the joys of being home. Air conditioning, sweet tea, and soft toilet paper! I could go on and on, but these last 72 hours have been well worth the efforts it took to get here.

I am catching my flight back to Europe this afternoon and will hopefully be back in Finland sometime very late on Wednesday night. I am so thankful for the time and opportunity I had to come home and reconnect with my family.





A kayaker navigates his way down the river in Seinajoki


A nice day to be out on the water


The Tampere Saints doing their pre-game stretch


The Crocs are poised to take the field


Former Croc and current Rooster player Charles McCrea during pre-game warm-ups

No comments: