Friday, June 4, 2010

A Long Journey Back To Finland




I am back in Finland now after spending about 68 hours at home. The trip back started in Philadelphia on Tuesday afternoon and my first stop was London on Wednesday morning. I had a seven hour flight and then a six hour layover, so I decided to do a little exploring. I have been to London on 3 or 4 prior occasions ( after all I am married to an English woman), but I have been looking forward to going back to check out more of what the city has to offer. The six hour layover didn't leave me much time because I had to allow time for switching terminals and going through all the security checks. I also had about 50 minutes travel time each way on the tube, so my time was limited to about 2 hours on this occasion. The Paddington Express train would have taken me into central London in only 15 minutes from Heathrow, but the cost was 32 pounds for a return trip. So I opted for the 4.50 pound ride on the London underground train known as the tube. While in the city, I did find time for some breakfast. I guess all that flying made me hungry! The breakfast known as the "Full Monty" or the "Full English" is my absolute favorite in the world. I found one on this day in Piccadilly for only 5 pounds, which really made me happy. Now the "Full English" has been written about on this blog before, but it's mere greatness justifies another mention on this site. This artery 'cloggin' breakfast has been around for some 200 years, and I fully expect it to be around for at least 200 more. The breakfast consists of cooked mushrooms, half of a cooked tomato, two pieces of buttered toast, beans, two eggs-- fried or scrambled, bangars (otherwise known as sausages), a few bacon rashers, (which is 90% lean meat and 10% fat-- unlike the American version of clear fatty bacon), and in some cases a serving of blood pudding. Now, I have tried the blood pudding, but I am fine with leaving this out of the equation. The choice of additional flavor for this breakfast is the 'royal' HP sauce. HP is fully endorsed by the queen and it is a very like able brown sauce. It is similar to it's cousin A-1 sauce, but decidedly unique. Comparing HP and A-1 is akin to comparing the U.S.A. and Great Britain. In other words, they are very similar, but yet very different.

After devouring my breakfast, I set out for some more walking and the chance to take some additional photos. I still had a long day ahead of me including another two and a half hour flight from London to Helsinki, a 45 minute bus ride to the train station, and then a 5 hour train ride back to Seinajoki. Is this starting to sound like a sequel to the film "Planes, Trains, and Automobiles?"

After my return to Heathrow a few hours later, I decided there was only one thing I could do to help alleviate all the stress of my travels. EAT! I scoped out the menu at Gordon Ramsay's restaurant and asked the hostess if I could be seated for a quick bite before taking off. I have watched Gordon Ramsay on the telly for some 2-3 years now, most notably on his show called Hell's Kitchen. He is one of the most colorful Brits I have ever seen in action. If they ever cast him as 007 in a James Bond film, the movie would have to be rated R or maybe even triple X for all the language he can muster. In fact, he can drop more F-bombs in one minute on his show than Vice President Biden can during a campaign speech. Now, that's a lot of F-bombs.

In regards to Gordon, I have always found the bloke to be a bit cheeky. His dishes are smashing, but he likes to get into a row with his students and often tells them to bugger off. Even so, the chance for some spotted dick for only a few quid seemed just lovely to me. Plus, I was knackered from all the walking, felt like I'd been traveling at least a fortnight, and desperately needed the loo.

American translation= I think Gordon is a guy who is brash and ornery. His food is extraordinary, but he does seem to enjoy arguing and fighting with his students, while sometimes telling them to get lost. My chance to have a well known English dessert for only a few dollars was super. After all, I was tired from the walking and felt like I had been on the road for two weeks. And, I really needed to use the restroom.




I never met a pasta dish I didn't like and this one was no exception at Gordon Ramsay's "Plane" Restaurant


No Sign of Gordon


If you ever find yourself in terminal 5 at Heathrow-- check this place out


The New Terminal 5 at London Heathrow


The "Full English" accompanied by the HP Brown sauce


By the way, spotted dick is a sponge and sweet pudding with raisins or currants in it. It is usually served with hot custard and very popular in England.


Lights out.

1 comment:

Estalita said...

I miss the "Full English" and the Fish and Chips.....and the HP!! Perfect translation for Gordon by the way (even though I didn't need it myself) :-)