Friday, March 6, 2009

Impressions of Finland

Well, I finally made it to Finland and I have been staying busy over the past 3 days. I have been having meetings with the team management, meeting many new players and practicing in our indoor dome facility. I have also had some time for experiencing my first Finnish sauna, eating some reindeer (sorry Rudolph) and other Finnish foods which I have yet to learn to pronounce. It has been a really interesting experience thus far. We are looking for more ways to continue to grow the football team over here and to continually find more sponsors for the organization. I was interviewed today by the main Finnish newspaper here in the city and they asked a lot of questions about American football and why I chose to come to Finland.
I must admit that I feel comfortable here and they have made me feel very welcome. There are some very talented players on the squad and also many younger guys who need more work on their technique and fundamentals. That is part of what will make it a great challenge here. There are a lot of opportunities to teach and work with players who are eager to keep learning the game. We should have around 45 guys on our team when everybody reports for camp in early May. When I come back over in early May, we will only have about 12 days before our first game. There is so much yet to teach and put in, so I will have to hit the ground running when I return in two months. I think the language will be tough to learn, but I am willing to give it a go. In fact, I already know more Finnish than French!!
Tomorrow will be a full day of practices and meetings and then I will board a train for Helsinki in the late afternoon to begin my long journey home. I have had a good stay, but I really miss my family. I believe they are really going to enjoy their time here this summer. The management here including Timo, Eero, and Mika have really gone out of their way to make my stay an awesome experience, so I want to take this opportunity to thank them again. I have taken some pictures and I will get those posted when I get back. I will also continue with a few more posts about this journey when I return. I have had some experiences that I am looking forward to sharing on the blog, so stay tuned. Lights out.

4 comments:

Mikey said...

I'm glad that the second part of your trip, the part that was the whole reason for going, was one that was pleasant. I really hope yall have an amazing time there this summer.

Coach Causey said...

Coach Slivo,

How long will you be over there in Finland? Is it a year long siutation?

Eric Slivoskey said...

Mikey,

The second part of the trip did go very well. I had good experiences in Finland and they kept me busy during my time there. The management and players really made me feel welcome and I can't wait to head back there this summer. Still hoping you are able to make it over for a visit this summer. Look forward to seeing you next month in Ellendale too.

Eric Slivoskey said...

Hey Rex,

We will be over in Finland for around 4 months this summer. I head over in early May and then return in early September. Estalita and the kids get over there a few weeks after me in May and then leave two weeks before me in late August. You guys are welcome to come on over. You have a place to stay if you were able to come for a visit.

Slivo