Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Back in the U.S.

Well, I arrived back in the states on Sunday evening after about 24 hours of straight travel to get home. I figured that I covered roughly 15,000 miles in 9 days as I visited 4 countries, traveled on 7 planes and countless trains and buses. My last few days in Finland went exceptionally well as I met more of the Crocodile players including some of our import players from England. We had several meetings and practices over the last few days. We only scratched the surface of the playbook, but the time spent getting familiar with the players, management, and culture of the team was truly worthwhile. As I said before, the guys in Finland made me feel very welcome. I certainly had my share of challenges and struggles on the trip, but this is often the case when we venture outside of our individual comfort zones. Facing hardships is often part of the equation when traveling. For me, the manifestation of these struggles often come to fruition in the form of fresh thoughts and new insights into my own life. I feel a new sharpness and a heightened awareness of all the possibilities in the world. I have quenched the thirst of my curiosities for a time, but I know the bell will ring for me once again. When it does, I will answer the call with my backpack in tow, ticket in hand, and a fresh set of experiences that await me.

Here come some pictures from the trip. These are the 1st installment of 3 that I will post over the next few days. Hope you enjoy. An appropriate title for this installment might be Football, Friends, Food, and Freezing!!


Downtown market area of Brussels, Belgium


Carb heaven!!

About to devour my first Belgian waffle of the trip


Life is full of so many choices

Coach Moreels from the Brussels Bulls football team

Titans (white) vs. Bulls (blue)

Specialty hams and sausages of the Ardennes region of Belgium

Bulls driving to victory

A Trinity Reunion in Brussels with the Dusings at Continental Theological Seminary

Continental Theological Seminary-- property dating back to the 1100's-- occupied by the Nazi party during World War II

Crocodiles warming up for practice at our indoor practice facility in Seinajoki

Team Stretch

Traditional rice roll known as karjalanpiirakka in Finland

Swimming in a hole that has been cut in the ice of a local river-- known as "avantouinti" in Finland-- this extreme sport is practiced by the heartiest of Finns or a gullible American like me!!

I'm outta here before the hypothermia settles in.

Delicious smoked salmon and a traditional fish roll that I could not quite bring myself to finish. The minnow like fish in the bread were packed under some fatty pork.

Splurged on this antipasti at a Sicilian restaurant in Helsinki the night before I flew home. Packed with parmesan cheese, red peppers, olives, prosciutto, artichokes, garlic, another variation of ham, and a wonderful light mustard sauce.

Capped the night off with one of my favorite Italian desserts called Panna Cotta. okay Gelato, Tira Misu, and biscotti are up there high on the list as well. This panna cotta was very smooth and well textured with an assortment of flavorful Finnish berries to top it off.

Lights out.

No comments: