Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Army/Navy Football

Just got back in from Vegas yesterday and we had a great time. I will post some info. and pictures from the trip sometime tomorrow. We headed out to Philadelphia this morning to take my in-laws to the airport and then stopped at Christiana mall in Delaware to do some Christmas shopping. The nice thing about shopping in Delaware is the lack of a sales tax, so that definitely makes a difference.

The exciting news I have to report is that I have accepted a position to be the offensive coordinator at a local high school here in Maryland. I am supposed to sign a contract sometime this week and begin implementing the playbook over the Christmas break. I was really surprised to get the opportunity due to the fact that we are going back overseas next summer to coach again. I informed the head coach that I won't be available until early September, but he agreed to work around my schedule. I am really excited about getting the chance to be involved with a local high school program.

Speaking of football, Kodie and I are driving out to Lincoln Financial Field this upcoming weekend to attend the Army/Navy football game in Philadelphia. I have always wanted to experience one of the service academy games in person. I nearly went to Army to play football and my best friend from elementary school ended up having a very successful career at Navy in the early 1990's. Both of these institutions play the game the way it should be played. They have great discipline, exhibit superb sportsmanship, display integrity and honor for the game with their actions on the field, and always seem to play hard to the last whistle; no matter what the score or outcome of the game may be. I wish they would show more Army/Navy highlights on ESPN and the other large networks, so the younger generations could see the examples that these young men set. Kodie is probably too young to understand the full significance of what this game really means, but I think he can still learn something about how to compete from this sort of experience. Watch for my summary and pictures from the big game next week on the blog.

Lights out.

1 comment:

George said...

Eric,

My wife and I attended the Army-Navy game in 1983 when it was held at the Rose Bowl in Pasadena. Navy won the game 42-13.

It was one of the GREAT patriotic moments/sprctacles of our lives. Every football fan needs to attend one of these games. . .definite GOOSE BUMPS R US moments!!!

George