Saturday, August 15, 2009

Dark Clouds

I titled this post as such for two reasons. The number one reason is that tomorrow is the day that my wife Estalita and our three children fly back to the states. We are departing Seinajoki early in the morning and taking the train to Helsinki. We arrive in Helsinki around noon and then we'll head out to the airport. Their flight destination is New York City where my father-in-law will be waiting to pick them up and then drive the 3 hours or so back to our home in Maryland. Needless to say, I am sad to see them go. The apartment is going to seem so quiet and empty without them. We have had a wonderful summer here together and it has quickly drawn to a close. I will be staying on for another few weeks to finish the season before going back on the 2nd of September.
The second reason for my disappointment is the outcome of our game today against the Butchers. We blew a 14-0 lead and the Butchers scored 17 unanswered points to beat us on our home field 17-14. We started fast, but then just seemed to lose our focus and ability to execute on all sides of the ball. Our field position was poor all day and our offense sputtered along after an exceptional 1st quarter. To their credit, the Butchers played a solid game and they didn't get down when we jumped out ahead of them. The downside of this loss is that we are now the #3 playoff seed instead of the #1 seed. We now have to play on the road next weekend against the most potent offense in our league. There was a great deal of frustration and disappointment at the end of the game. Our coaches and players know we are a better team than the one who showed up today. We must play much better next weekend if we are to continue.



The Crocodiles square off against the Butchers


Pre-game introductions


Slivoskey sisters hand in hand


The Tuokko family with Estalita and the kids


Kaylin is proud of her new outfit


Some trampoline fun


Kodie coming after me with water balloons

I must admit I started the water balloon battle by tossing one at Kodie when he got down to hike the ball. I set him up for this and it would have been perfect if the water balloon hadn't failed to break apart on impact with his backside.

Safe travels Slivoskey family. I am going to miss all of you something terrible. I look forward to seeing you when I get back to the states.
Lights out.

No comments: