Friday, April 3, 2009

Nearly ready to head east

After a half day at work, we got busy packing up our remaining items and loading up the U-haul truck. Thanks to all at TBC who gave us a hand. There will be some more things to load onto the truck in the morning, but most of it is finished. Estalita and the kids hope to get on the road by noon tomorrow. I plan on finishing up my classes in the afternoon and then setting off between 3 and 4 pm. They are calling for more snow tomorrow and I want to try and get ahead of the storm. I have the biggest U-haul they rent (26 footer), so it will be pretty slow going. The plan tomorrow is to drive to Minneapolis and spend the first night of the journey there. My Uncle Richard is flying in from northern Virginia to help me drive the truck back to Maryland and get our things moved into our townhouse. We are very grateful for his decision to come out and help us with the move.
There have been many tough goodbyes over the past few days. Hard to believe that our six years here in the plains of North Dakota are coming to a close. The kids finished their last day of school yesterday and said farewells to their classmates and teachers. They will finish the year as home schooled students in Maryland. We are excited to get back east and begin a new life there. It is a sort of homecoming for our family. Estalita and I have lived west of the Mississippi for nearly 14 years now. Living out west has been every bit of the adventure that we dreamed it would be and more. We have lived in some really fascinating places. These include Big Sky and West Yellowstone, Montana. Then, there was Park City, Utah and Gilbert, Arizona. Finally, there were the six years in Ellendale, North Dakota. Even better than the places are all the new friends that we made and memories that were created along the way. I think we both view this transition in our lives as a bittersweet moment. I came across one of my favorite poems today as I was packing up some of my things. This poem sums up these sentiments in a very thought provoking way. Hope you enjoy the poem.

"My house says to me, "Do not leave me, for here dwells your past."
And the road says to me, "Come and follow me, for I am your future."
And I say to both my house and the road, " I have no past, nor have I
a future. If I stay here, there is a going in my staying; and if I go, there
is a staying in my going. Only love and death change all things."

Gibran

Lights out and happy trails

No comments: