Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Coaching the Prague Lions in the Czech Republic

During my time in Prague, I have linked up with an American football team called the Prague Lions.  I have been able to help out a bit with coaching wide receivers while I've been here.  I haven't made it to as many practices as I would have liked to because I've been so busy with my TEFL language course.  The Lions have a Czech head coach, and Americans coordinating the offense, coaching the offensive line, and also an American who coaches the defensive line.  It is very unusual to have 3 American coaches on a European team.  I have also met 5 different Americans who have played in games and/or practice with the Lions.  A few of these Americans are here doing a study abroad program in Prague.  The other Americans are paid imports who are earning a salary and benefits like housing, food, insurance, etc.... to play for the Lions.  The team has been a lot of fun to work with, and I've enjoyed my brief time with them.  They are a hard working bunch of guys, who are very eager to keep learning the game.  The team is 3-3 on the season, with two regular season games left on the schedule.  Below are a few pics of some practices and games.  The Lions compete against teams from the Czech Republic and Slovakia.





       The Prague Lions begin practice warm-ups




  An American QB drops back to throw during                   offensive skelly session




Pre-game on the road vs. Pribram

Lions Off. Coordinator Zach Harrod (from Wisconsin)
Pribram got the best of the Lions in this one
The Trnava team (from Slovakia) traveled to Prague to play the Lions
The big Slovakian QB looks over the Lions defense
                                     The Prague Lions won a close       game  over the Slovakian team 28-26.



                                                              Lights out.

No comments: