Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Week 7 NFL Update

It is hard to believe that we are nearly half way through the NFL season already. There have been several surprises thus far including some teams who have overachieved and another handful of teams that have fallen short of expectations. The K.C. Chiefs and St. Louis Rams have played better than most experts predicted. The Chiefs are doing it with a dynamic running game and a solid team defense. The Rams appear to be defying the odds with their talented rookie quarterback and a cast of lesser known players. The Seahawks and Titans are playing well too, but there is still a lot of football left to be played.

On the other side of the coin, the New Orleans Saints are certainly not playing like a championship level team. The loss of Reggie Bush has hurt them, and Drew Brees is playing mediocre football. The Norv Turner led Chargers are a huge disappointment in San Diego. The Bolts haven't played well early in the season in recent years, but the hole they've dug for themselves thus far may be too deep for them to climb out of. I would also have to put Minnesota and Dallas on the list of underachievers. Brett Favre has struggled with his health, off the field problems, and his on the field decision making. The Vikings are loaded with talent, but winning in the NFL on a consistent basis has very little to do with potential or talent. Just ask the Dallas Cowboys. The Cowboys have solid playmakers on both sides of the ball, but they beat themselves with penalties at crucial points during the game, and a coach who seems to struggle to get the most out of his players. The Cowboys also have their problems on the offensive line. The team will be watching the playoffs and Super Bowl on tv like the rest of us this winter.

Finally, I was impressed to say the least that Bill Belichick had the courage to trade Randy Moss, a decision that is sure to make his TEAM stronger. I capitalized TEAM because that is the name of the game and Randy Moss has never really proven himself to be a team player. New England won all of their Super Bowls without him and their offense already looks more in sync and disciplined since Mr. Moss packed his bags for Minnesota. I do believe that Moss is a great one on one player, but he wears out his welcome wherever he goes. He is a malcontent who only competes when the ball is sure to come to him. He takes plays off and the great ones just don't do that. I never saw Jerry Rice take a play off. Moss was getting into confrontations with coaches in New England and his unhappiness with his contract had become a distraction. I can never give Belichick my full respect because of his involvement in the video cheating scandal, but he is a very savvy coach with a great technical mind for the game, and a wonderful ability to sell his formula for winning to his players.

It is refreshing to see two new teams in the World Series. My favorite team is the one with the lowest payroll. I'm not sure who that is in this case, but I will try and find out before the series is over. As I've blogged before, the Rangers had to file for bankruptcy due to losing so much money because of paying huge contracts like the quarter of a billion dollar deal they gave to A-Rod several years ago. Now that I think of it, I will root for the Giants. It would be nice to see them win without the all time leader in steroid home runs. If my memory serves me right, I think he was a guy named Bonds.

Lights out.

4 comments:

Michael Galvin said...

Howdy, Eric! I came across your blog and wanted to say thanks for writing it. It combines two interests of mine--football and northern Europe--in an interesting way. I especially enjoy the pictures. Keep up the adventures!

BStrong said...

Time to UPDATE THIS THING!

Eric Slivoskey said...

Hi Michael,

Thanks for the positive comments on the blog. As you can see, I have fallen behind on posting on a regular basis. I am going to try and get some more pics up on the site in the near future as well. I still have a lot of photos of Europe from the past two summers that I have yet to post on the blog. I hope to keep up the adventures as well.

Regards,

Eric Slivoskey

Superbowl2012 said...

Your update is excellence. Keep posting such kind of post on your blog. Thanks for the share.
Super Bowl 2012| Super Bowl Commercials 2012